Monday 8 October 2012

Your 1500 Calorie Purple Guide To Weightloss

Pin It Now!




The nutrition industry has an unsung hero: the great principles of weight loss that everyone refuses to believe in.  Energy restriction coupled with increased calorie burn, truly does equate to weight loss.  You just need to believe the facts, practice and stick to it.


The trousers
If you are wondering what inspired me to write this blog post, I tried to get into my white jeans this weekend.  Sure they zipped up, but my rebellious curves made me look like a pumpkin that someone tried to squeeze through the middle.  Not pretty.  Christmas is under 3 months away so my instincts told me, “I should BE ABLE to get into these comfortably before the party / festive season hits!”

If you too have mastered the laws of nutrition but simply lack the practical tips to put together a healthy eating plan for weight loss; then dare to give this a go.  If variety is the heart of healthy eating, then I’ll be lovingly filling myself with fruit and vegetables for the much needed mineral and vitamins.

I’ll be trying vegetarian recipes and eating my favourite foods such as salmon for essential omega 3 fatty acids and proteins.  I will also be filling up on plenty of slow releasing or low GI (glycaemic index) carbohydrates to fuel my runs.  I love carbs and would not be able to survive more than 8 hours without it (and that’s when I am asleep of course). 

If you have been following me on A Light Perspective’s facebook page www.facebook.com/Alightperspective then you may have noticed that I have been posting pictures of the food I eat.  Feel free to join in and post pictures of your breakfast or lunch meals on the fan page.

So what’s next?  I’ll be posting 1500 calorie eating plans for a few days each week.  I have chosen 1500 calories as I believe that an average woman normally eats around 2000 calories a day.  To facilitate weight loss, you need to cut back by around 500 calories per day for weight loss of 500g at the end of the week.  If you want to eat more, then earn any extra calories by burning it off through exercise.


Quality control
It’s just like anything else, if you want to maintain a beautiful dress, you get it dry cleaned and store it carefully to ensure that it lasts beautifully over the seasons for a timeless piece.  Your body works the same way.  For a high quality living product, fill it with high quality foods packed with nutrition.  Remember to exercise it regularly for a toned and beautiful exterior.

Regardless of whether you want to LOOK good for your age or improve your risk factors for disease, you will enjoy feeling lighter and healthier after shedding a few pounds if overweight.  Or maybe like me, you may just be aiming to shed a few pounds to simply look good in your clothes.  Remember, as long as your weight loss goals also envelope the principles of healthy eating, then you will be on the road to a slimmer and healthy you.


So let’s get started.


Breakfast
1 cup of reduced fat milk
½ cup of cooked oats
½ small banana sliced or ½ cup strawberry halves
125g fat free yoghurt

Use this portion of milk to make a cup of tea or coffee.


Mid-morning tea
20 grapes
Cup of tea made with reduced fat milk


Lunch
Sandwich – make your own using 2 slices of wholegrain bread that’s high in fibre.  
Aim for >5g/100g or see my article Are You Carb Smart?

Fillings
60g mozzarella
Tomato slices
30g avocado to spread
Fresh / dried herbs OR salad leaves

Plus
120g pottle of reduced fat yoghurt (or save for later)
1 large orange

Cup of tea


Mid afternoon snack
Cup of tea or use the orange or yoghurt from lunch if you have saved this.


Dinner
1 serving of fruit salad (for recipe ideas see Lazy Fruit Salad.

Plus
Extra vegetables on the side if still hungry such as green beans, broccoli or a simple salad of tomato and cucumbers.

Drink – plenty of fluids to stay hydrated.


Purple Tip
These are only tips to give you ideas of what a 1500 calorie eating plan looks like.


Don't forget to fit in at least 30 minutes of exercise such as walking, jogging, cycling or sport.  Whatever you choose, enjoy, have fun and remember the successful dieter continues the principles of healthy eating for a lifetime.


What are your tips for weightloss?  Do comment below lovely readers, I do love hearing from you.